Friday, April 15, 2011

My Birthday

I know that my birthday was a few weeks ago, March 27th, but I haven't gotten around to updating the blog until today.

We eventually decided to invite five families: the family that lives here, and four friends' families. Georgia and I spent all week making the piñata, which we modeled after the face of the hospedaje dog, Luca. The day of the party, which was also the day that we got back from Machu Picchu, I spent the morning making streamers, and the rest of the day decorating with them and setting up in various other ways.

The hospedaje family got here first, of course, because they live here. Next to arrive were the Canadians that my family is working with--Tarn, the daughter, is in my class. Tika, another girl in my class, and her family were next to arrive, and finally Urpi got there, right before we were about to start the piñata. Before that we mostly ate and talked a little. My final guest, a girl in my class that always asks me if I want to play with her at recess, never showed up.

A little way into the second round of piñata-whacking, the piñata fell, cracked but still mostly intact, and I got to finish bashing it open. Everyone dived for the candy, as with every piñata, and one boy from the hospedaje seized half of the broken dog head to put his booty in.

After everyone gathered and ate candy for a few minutes, we had cake and presents. My mom had baked the cake at the colonial oven, where everyone takes their food to be baked, because many people don't have ovens of their own, including us. It was chocolate with chocolate frosting and delicious. I saved the presents to open later and we organized a game of tag.

Although everyone had arrived late, they all left on time. When they were gone, we cleaned up and went out for dinner. After we got home, I opened the presents in my parents room and the next day, I wrote thank-you notes and passed them out. From my friends I got a pencil pouch, two little change purses, a friendship bracelet, a stone frog on a lily pad, a necklace, a hat, a metal bracelet, some big wooden crayons, and a soft, floppy doll. From my family, I received a small shoulder bag, a stuffed animal llama, a soft, gray sweater/shirt, a picture of the mountain that we see from the hospedaje balcony every day, and brown, fuzzy slippers.

Overall, it was a pretty good party, even though I wasn't looking forward to having my birthday in Peru.

By Katie

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Katie! Sorry I didn't say so sooner, but I wasn't 100% sure, and I didn't want to say it if it wasn't your birthday. That does sound like a pretty cool party. Did the girl tell you why she didn't show up? What was her name? I hope you keep having a good time. I am nearly done knitting my sweater, and will attend a writing festival in a few days. Have a happy Easter.
    Sincerely, Devina.
    P. S. Do they celebrate Easter in Peru? I remember last year you came over to my house and we dyed eggs.
    P.P.S. Why was the 'awful day in school' from Georgia's post so awful??

    ReplyDelete